Director of Operations
265 Darts Road Eagle Bay, NY 13331
Salary Range: $45,000 - $50,000
“The YMCA offers a competitive benefit package including medical and dental insurance, paid sick and vacation time, generous retirement package and a free YMCA family membership”.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Operations is responsible for overall supervision, leadership, and operations of the resident camp. The Director of Operations supervises the summer seasonal staff and assists in the budget process. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Rochester is conveyed.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Multi-Team or Branch Leader):
- Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to improving lives.
- Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Ensures execution of plans. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
- Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing delivers abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- A bachelor's degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Childhood Development or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of six years YMCA experience, with a minimum of four being in a professional supervisory/director role.
- Ability to make independent decisions that adhere to the purpose, mission, and goals of the YMCA.
- Extensive skills in recruiting, training and directing volunteer leaders and employees.
- Experience organizing, recruiting, promoting, and directing resident camp, year round program and cabin rentals.
- Demonstrated skills in Fiscal Management.
- Strong communication, networking and collaboration skills.
- Excellent team builder and team player; ability to work self-directed.
- Strong interpersonal, public relations and communications skills for building social and business functions for effective partnerships and collaborations.
- Ability to represent the YMCA in a mature and professional manner building strong relations with leaders in a wide variety of organizations in the community.
- CPR/AED and First Aid certifications
- Assists in preparation of annual income and expense budget, primarily focused on department 25, for approval by corporate staff and Finance Committee. Administers the budget and exercises necessary controls to assure operations are maintained within approved budget.
- Serves as a leader in customer-focused camp operations. Provides exemplary leadership in camper/group recruitment, service, evaluation, and superior retention efforts.
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring, training, and continued development of seasonal staff team.
- Works very closely with Ranger and seasonal maintenance team in making sure facilities and program areas on ready for incoming campers, rental groups, and programs.
- Supervises Health Lodge and healthcare staff including recruitment, hiring and DOH certifications.
- Supervises the kitchen staff and food service company to ensure high quality of servie and food.
- Plans for and supervises the upkeep of main program areas, facilities, and equipment; i.e. ski boats, sailboats, dining hall, camper cabins, ropes and climbing areas, archery, and wilderness campsites. Creates and maintains top notch upkeep of all program equipment and facilities.
- Assure compliance with state, ACA and local regulations and program standards are met and safety proedures are followed.
- Continuous revisions of all programs to ensure top notch safety, security and enjoyment of campers.
- Responsible for accuracy, relevance, and continued development of camp website and social media presence. Works with Campsite and Gorham team in using management system to its fullest; customer service with families, pulling data and using statistics to make decisions, collecting staff paperwork.
- Actively pursues collaborative relationships with community agencies and school districts;
- Works with Executive Director on creating and implementing “community phase” of Annual Campaign. This includes meeting goals for seasonal staff and camper families giving.
- Acts as staff lead in working program committee with volunteers in continuing to increase strong assets for Camp Gorham.
- Assist Executive Director with year-round marketing efforts for overnight camp, shoulder season programming (family camp, WAW, rental groups), and facility rentals. Works closely with Gorham team in setting and implementing marketing plan, continually editing whenever needed.
- Attend all required meetings and training.
- Keep all required certifications up to date.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to sit and stand for extended duration of shift.
- Must be able to bend and stoop frequently.
- Must be able to lift up to fifteen pounds
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- The YMCA believes its employees must understand and demonstrate the mission of the organization through actions, which promote the values of the YMCA: Healthy Living, Youth Development, and Social Responsibility.
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.