1851 Fairport Nine Mile Point Road Penfield, NY 14526
Salary Range: $41,000 - $44,000
“The YMCA offers a competitive benefit package including medical and dental insurance, paid sick and vacation time, generous retirement package and a free YMCA family membership”.
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations, the Program Director’s primary responsibility is to maintain high programmatic standards throughout all camp activities. Primary summer responsibilities include maintaining a summer camper schedule for 250 overnight campers and 130 day campers, supervising a team of activity leaders, and serving as a role model and mentor to all campers and staff. Spring and Fall responsibilities include coordinating staff to serve the various programs and rental groups. Throughout the off season, the program director will also work with the Director of Operations on all staff recruitment and hiring, as well as coordinating camper recruitment events. This position requires living at Camp from May to September and offers seasonal housing on site.
YMCA Competencies (Multi-Team or Branch Leader):
- Mission Advancement: Reinforce the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the the Y’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
- Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the Y. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance the Y’s mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decision. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
- Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- A bachelor's degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Childhood Development or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 3 years in a supervisory/director role.
- Ability to make independent decisions that adhere to the purpose, mission, and goals of the YMCA.
- Skills in recruiting, training and directing volunteer leaders and employees.
- Experience organizing, promoting, and directing camping.
- Demonstrated skills in fiscal management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Clear Driving Record.
- Must have CPR/AED and First Aid certifications or the ability to obtain within 60 days of hire.
- Actively support all camp staff in our mission to give campers a fantastic camp experience.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, mentor and evaluate all camp staff and any new programming staff developed at Camp Cory.
- Develop and coordinate with activity leaders to develop programs that foster independence and achievement with all campers.
- Plan, promote, and direct the Family Camp, Daddy and Me, Women’s Weekend and rental programs at Camp Cory.
- In conjunction with the Day Camp Director, develop and implement new the expanded Day Camp Program.
- In conjuction with the Director of Operations, activiely recruit campers throughout the year.
- Supervise “Out of Cabin” Activity Leaders with the active goal of coordinating individual camper schedules in overnight camp and group schedules in day camp.
- Serve as the staff liaison assigned to appropriate volunteer committees and subcommittees.
- Assume an active role in the Annual Campaign and the United Way Campaign.
- Participate in branch and Association-wide assignments and special responsibilities as designated by the Director of Operations.
- Ensure high quality programs through innovative program development and evaluation.
- Attend all required meetings, trainings, and branch events.
- Any other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk on property or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its families and the community, resulting in increased camper enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior customer service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in camper retention, programs and special services.