Southeast Family YMCA
111 East Jefferson Road Pittsford, NY 14534
Salary Range: $10.40
Monday - Friday, 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Under the guidance of the Aquatic Director, Aquatic Staff Associate or Aquatic Coordinator, a Swim Instructor teaches swim lessons to members. Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Rochester are conveyed.
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Uses best practices, guidelines, and industry standards as a framework to improve performance.
- Demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology associated with the job.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must hold current certifications in CPR-Pro & AED.
- Must obtain First Aid and Oxygen Administration certification within 30 days.
- Preferred current certification in YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor OR 2 years minimum documented experience of teaching swim lessons.
- Interest in working with and teaching swimming to diverse groups.
- Must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Must obtain YMCA Swim Lessons Instructor within 90 days of employment (or first class offered) or upon expiration of current WSI.
- Conduct swimming classes in accordance with the YMCA of the USA & YMCA of Greater Rochester Program Guidelines.
- Supervise all children and adults entrusted to the care of the instructor.
- Maintain the premises in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Maintain accurate records on individual participants that will lead to accurate information on certificates.
- Enforce all pool rules.
- Promote the YMCA mission and demonstrate YMCA Character Development to all members.
- Report in proper uniform (swim trunks for men and one piece bathing suits for women).
- Be acquainted with other available facilities and activities.
- Provide a lesson plan for any substitute.
- Secure a substitute instructor when unable to fulfill assigned duties and notify supervisor of changes.
- Attend all required meetings and trainings.
- Maintain all certifications required by the YMCA of Greater Rochester.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Candidates must understand that significant background noise exists in all indoor and outdoor aquatic environments. In addition, lifeguard candidates should have a minimum hearing threshold of no more than an average of a 25-decibel loss in both ears over a range of frequencies (500Hz, 1000Hz, 2000Hz, 788 and 3000Hz). Candidates who use hearing aids or other corrective devices for hearing should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, retrieve, or install or attach a hearing aid or corrective device.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements.
- Observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility. Candidates who use corrective eyewear should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective eyewear.
- Must be able to stand for the duration of the shift.
- Must be able to bend and stoop.
- Must be able to stay in the pool for an extended period of time.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.