Eastside Family YMCA
1835 Fairport Nine Mile Point Road Penfield, NY 14526
Salary Range: $10.40
Weekdays, 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Saturdays and Sundays, 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Under the direction of the Aquatic Director/Staff Associate/Coordinator, a lifeguard will uphold the rules and the guidelines of the pool to ensure the safest environment for all members. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values at the YMCA of Greater Rochester is conveyed.
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Uses best practices, guidelines, and industry standards as a framework to improve performance.
- Demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology associated with the job.
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must have current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding and obtain YMCA Lifeguarding certification within 60 days of their hire date.
- Must have CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certification, AED, and Oxygen Administration.
- Must have Basic First Aid certification.
- In addition to the above requirements, it is expected that a lifeguard will bring to his/her position maturity, responsibility, positive values and sincere interest in working with people.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with the YMCA of Greater Rochester standards.
- Must attend New Employee Orientation within 60 days of employment.
- To ensure the safety of every individual at the YMCA, both in and around the pool as well as the rest of the facility.
- To enforce regulations pertaining to showers, food and drink, conduct.
- To help in maintaining the premises in a clean and sanitary condition.
- To maintain accurate records as required by the NYS Health Department Sanitary Code.
- Be acquainted with other available facilities and activities.
- To learn and review all emergency procedures.
- To attend all staff meetings and in-services as required.
- To report 15 minutes prior to scheduled hours in proper uniform (whistle, trunks and provided lifeguard shirt for men and one piece suit and provided lifeguard shirt for women).
- To secure a substitute lifeguard when unable to fulfill assigned duties and notify supervisor of changes.
- To maintain all certifications required by the YMCA of Greater Rochester.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must be able to stand for the duration of the shift.
- Must be able to bend and stoop occasionally.
- Must be able to lift at least 15 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to spend long periods of time in the pool.
- Remain alert, with no lapses in consciousness.
- Move to various locations, including in and around an elevated chair.
- Communicate verbally, including projecting the voice across distances, and communicate swiftly and effectively with emergency personnel over the telephone and in person.
- Hear noises and distress signals in an aquatic environment, including in water, understanding that significant background noise exists in aquatic environments.
- Operate alone as a lifeguard, without other lifeguards for support.
- Observe all assigned sections of the water area.
- Perform all needed rescues and survival skills
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.