Before and After School Program Site Assistant
Southeast Family YMCA
111 East Jefferson Road Pittsford, NY 14534
Salary Range: $10.40
Monday - Friday
6:30 am - 9:00 am and 2:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Under the general direction of the Multi-Site Coordinator/Child Care Director, the Site Assistant is responsible for on-site activity leadership, working directly with children. Staff members must be qualified by training and experience to carry out their respective functions in the administration, operation and maintenance of the school-age child care program. The position is responsible for ensuring that the child care programs convey the mission, purpose, image, and core values of the YMCA of Greater Rochester.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
- Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values.
- Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
- Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Builds rapport and relates well to others.
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well.
- Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge.
- Pursues self-development hat enhances job performance.
- Be at least 18 years of age and possess a high school degree or GED.
- Have one year experience working with children under 13 years of age, preferably in an organized setting.
- Bring to this position maturity, responsibility, and a sincere interest in working with people.
- Have strong interpersonal, communication, and organization skills.
- Possess a general knowledge and understanding of the YMCA, its goals, and its mission.
- Possess knowledge of various resources for programming ideas and the skills to utilize that information in assisting daily activities.
- Possess knowledge of age appropriate activities and expectations of children ages 5-12.
- Maintain current medical and tuberculosis health form.
- Maintain the Applicant Criminal History Report (ACHR) every two years.
- Maintain the Statewide Central Registry Database Check (SCR) every two years.
- Complete New Employee Orientation within 60 days of hire.
- Must successfully complete the YMCA’s Listen First within 60 days of hire.
- Must successfully complete the YMCA’s Listen First Learn and Implement Cycle within 6 months of hire.
- Complete 15 hours of training within the first 6 months of hire.
- Complete a minimum of 30 hours of training every two years as required.
- Maintain updated certifications of the job CPR/AED, First Aid, Medication Administration Training, Supervision Trainings, Food and Safety Trainings and CATCH, and any other as directed by your supervisor.
- Assist in the planning of daily activities, preparation of materials, and implementing curriculum.
- Activity leadership, including interaction with individual children and small groups at a site.
- Maintain a safe environment for all children in the program.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of snacks.
- Assist the Site Coordinator/Site Supervisor/Wrap Teacher in maintaining records and preparing reports.
- Know and implement emergency procedures, rules, and regulations when needed.
- Display a positive attitude that is conducive to good public relations.
- Assist in maintaining positive relations with school administration.
- Assist in the recruitment of program participants.
- Meet all requirements of dress code policy.
- Attend appropriate Before and After School Program training and meetings.
- Implement the Site Coordinator’s/Site Supervisor’s/Wrap Teacher’s directions as needed.
- May be required to move to another site if requested by Director/Multi-Site Coordinator/Site Coordinator.
- Know and implement NYS OCFS Regulations.
- Maintain all required certifications.
- Attend all required meetings and training.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Ability to supervise children by sight and sound at all times.
- Ability to move quickly to react to safety issues in the setting (i.e. climbing, aggressive behavior).
- Ability to remain calm, objective and respectful in potentially stressful situations (i.e. crying upset child, upset parent, or upset staff).
- Ability to move around the room to assist children and supervise children with daily activities, social interaction, physical and emotional needs.
- Ability to lift young children and objects (food baskets and supplies) up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to work in all elements (i.e. outside in all weather)
- Ability to move from program site to branch or site to site, and is required to enter all YMCA environments including, program space, buses, schools, pools, and program area.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- Offers activities which foster the development of the holistic child building on the spirit, mind, and body in the School Age Programs.
- Is to be viewed as different from but connected to the school day, a time when children can enrich and expand their learning experiences and develop a sense of community.
- The YMCA believes its employees must understand and demonstrate the mission of the organization through actions, which promote the values of the YMCA: Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Honesty.
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.