Extended Learning Time Educator - RCSD School 44
444 East Main Street Rochester, NY 14604
Salary Range: $15.00
Monday - Friday, 12:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Under the general direction of the Program Development Office, the Extended Learning Time Educator works for the YMCA of Greater Rochester and is responsible for supervision, planning, implementing, and organizing the daily Extended Learning Time for their group. The ELT Educator is responsible for the daily supervision of up to 17 after-school program participants grades K-8. S/he is responsible for assisting in the planning, development, and implementation of all curriculum and program activities in the ELT program. The Educator guides the academic and social development of children; ensuring a safe, enriching, and healthy learning environment. ELT Educators use a variety of resources, provided by the YMCA and School Partner to introduce new skills throughout the execution of activities. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values at the YMCA of Greater Rochester is conveyed.
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Uses best practices, guidelines, and industry standards as a framework to improve performance.
- Demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology associated with the job.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years prior experience working with children under 13 years of age required.
- Exceptional group management, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience in creating interactive and educational/artistic activities, youth development, academic enrichment and arts.
- Must possess oral, auditory and written communication skills appropriate for interacting with both children and adults.
- Must be capable of implementing the daily administrative, program related, and supervisory responsibilities of an after-school site.
- Flexibility, with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Obtain New Staff Orientation and Darkness to Light Training within 60 days of hire.
- Candidate will be required to be fingerprinted and have background checks conducted by the YMCA and the NYS TEACH system
- Maintain updated certifications of the job (/AED and First Aid)
- Must successfully complete the YMCA’s Listen First Learn and Implement Cycle within 6 months of hire.
- Must sign and demonstrate the YMCA Greater Rochester’s Staff Pledge.
Specific Responsibilities for Specified Site and Fun Clubs: (Including summer)
- Plan, organize, and implement the daily program schedule and curriculum for a group of 15-18 youth grades Kindergarten through 8 (focusing on the YMCA’s 9 Core Components)
- Ensure the safety and engagement of children in assigned group.
- Plan and facilitate purposeful and engaging activities and group projects that compliments the program’s thematic or project-based agenda according to the pilot program 9 components and site implementation plan.
- Provide assistance with homework and encourage academic progress.
- Follow program curriculum in a developmentally appropriate manner, meeting the individual physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs of the participants.
- Provide careful, attentive supervision, alert at all times.
- Serve as a positive role model, demonstrates professional behavior and understand positive youth development approaches to the academic and social development of youth.
- Facilitate a program environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play, and welcomes children.
- Promote a team concept through a positive approach to supervision, communication, and interactions with others.
- Maintain on-going communication with supervisor.
- Maintain accurate classroom records as assigned and according to pilot program requirements.
- Communicate regularly with parents; attends parent/family events as designated by supervisor.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of YMCA mission, purpose and goals, childcare policies and YMCA standards; ensure the program meets the highest standards of excellence.
- Abide by YMCA and RCSD dress code policies, appropriate secured footwear (no open toed shoes or heels), Staff T-shirt, and presentable clothing at all times.
- Candidate needs to be flexible while working for the YMCA of Greater Rochester and be willing to work to meet the extended learning time goals of the school and RCSD.
- Expand job knowledge and skills by demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Attend all required meetings and training.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the program development and RCSD partners.
- Ability to supervise children by sight and sound at all times.
- Ability to move quickly to react to safety issues in the setting (i.e. climbing, aggressive behavior).
- Ability to remain calm, objective and respectful in potentially stressful situations (i.e. crying upset child, upset parent, or upset staff).
- Ability to be flexible and willing to adjust to change.
- Ability to move around the room to assist children and supervise children with daily activities, social interaction, physical and emotional needs.
- Ability to lift young children and objects (food baskets and supplies) up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to develop and foster cooperative relationships.
- Ability to work in all elements (i.e. outside in all weather)
Effect on End Results:
A quality extended learning time program that:
- Promotes health, safety and nutrition that exemplify the YMCA model.
- Promotes democracy, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Promotes continuity and consistency.
- Offers activities which foster the development of the holistic child building on the spirit, mind, and body in the ELT Programs.
- Is to be viewed as different from but connected to the school day, a time when children can enrich and expand their learning experiences and develop a sense of community.
- The YMCA believes its employees must understand and demonstrate the mission of the organization through actions, which promote the values of the YMCA: Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Honesty.
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.